Discussion was first held in 1944 amongst concerned Greenwood residents regarding a public hall for their district. However it wasn't until 22nd August 1959 that day and night celebrations heralded the opening of the newly erected Greenwood Public Hall. Entry to the gala ball was priced at 10/-. The hall was built by voluntary labour provided by local farmers. Mr A.J. Kajewski was the supervisor and then Fred Patzwald assisted. They were paid to progress the project. The hall was situated on the Greenwood Recreation Grounds which was originally part of land owned by Chris Harth at the foot of Greenwood Hill.
The name "Greenwood" was selected by the Dept. of Public Instruction from a number of names submitted by the committee formed to establish a school in the district. Jacob Eisemann suggested the name in probable reference to the deep green Brigalow and Belah trees that covered the landscape.
(Research by Max and Pam Bacon)
Caught up in the expansion of the New Hope Coal Mine in 2007, the Greenwood Recreation Grounds Trust was paid a sum of approximately $175,000 for their assets which included the hall. The Trust distributed about $100,000 to various charities after all expenses had been paid.
In the lead up to the Oakey Centennial Show in 2008, a Centennial project to mark these celebrations was under consideration. Patron of the Show Society Max Kuhl, who also held the dual role of Secretary/Treasurer of the Greenwood Recreational Grounds, was inspirational in securing the donation by New Hope Coal of the Greenwood Hall to the Oakey Show Society. Thus commenced the project in October 2007, which at times appeared to present insurmountable obstacles, to relocate the hall to the Oakey Showgrounds.
The expertise of removalist Clarrie Wolski was challenged on occasions, however in a tribute to his ingenuity, and with the assistance of a small band of dedicated volunteers, the mission was accomplished. Six farms, many fences and Doctors Creek were crossed during the process. Renovations were undertaken, and a week prior to the Centennial Show, the project was complete.
A Thanksgiving Service to celebrate the relocation of Greenwood Hall was held on Show Sunday, the 16th March 2008 at midday. Pastor Peter Ziebell was the officiating Minister. Patron Max Kuhl cut the ribbon to officially open the hall. All five Trustees of the Greenwood Recreational Grounds, Rod Harvey (President), Max Kuhl (Secretary/Treasurer), Herb Bosse, Bill Bosse and Col Bushby were present at the ceremony. The Oakey Show Society is indebted to these Trustees for their generous financial assistance, and to New Hope Coal for the donation of the hall. In 2017, the interior of the hall was freshly painted due to financial assistance from New Acland Community Investment Fund. Additional funding from New Acland Community Investment Fund has enabled the external painting of the hall in 2019.
The Greenwood Hall is now regarded as an invaluable asset for future generations to utilize and enjoy. It has become the social hub of the showgrounds, used for monthly meetings, showgirl events, show activities and much more.